Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Always a day of slow knitting!



Hello Friends!
I hope your week is going well.

I wondered if anyone is still making dish/face cloths?
I really think the spa idea for Christmas giving is neat...a basket with spa stuff like lotions and such and several of the cloths.
For so long they were all the rage and everyone was picking up on making cloths and variations on the theme. I like the scrubbies too, so when someone mentioned them in the dish cloth group I saved the link for us.
I think it is a repeat, but we have new folks here all the time
Here it is:
http://tankhouse.knitability.com/freepatterns/DishClothDuo.pdf
I haven't made any cloths since early summer.

By the way, I was at the DR. for routine appointment and to meet our new DR. While there I didn't see the magazines [new office, too] as a large woman was blocking my view of the table they were on. So, I sat...didn't take my knitting, as we were nearly late.
[...due to sitting and talking over coffee and the newspaper, duh!]
When my BP was taken it was up.
I know partly due to do with pain from arthritis and my tweaked knee, but also because I was getting steamed, for having to wait with nothing to do! I hate that!
Always have some knit/crochet project to take with you...always!

Here's another person's perspective on knitting.
Read the Yarn Harlot's blog. http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/A "Real Friend," took over for Stephanie on Oct. first. Nice to read and enjoy.

I have to buckle down and get scarves knitted for critters, as I signed up for a table for our
community bazaar in November. Anyone in my area available to donate a scarf or two for this project? I am selling them for a reasonable cost in order to "sell," so if you make some do a fast and easy pattern with your toss away yarn. Let me know.

Did you know there was a MYSTERY A-FOOT? No, well...I didn't really tell the whole story about the yellow blanket.
Funny the yellow baby blanket [...which came out black and white on the scan] was a mystery for awhile, then I decided it was from Pat F, who lives next door, since there was no note and it was just hanging there on the knob. But, it wasn't her, then I called another lady, nope. Last night at the children's home sale and dessert [...by the way, beautifully decorated with Christmas and super fine delectable cakes and such...], I met up with another knitter pal and it was Judy who knit the blanket. Mystery solved! [It is a work of knitting perfection.]

I hope you have a creative day!
The Knitting Tortoise >>GRIN<<
Barb
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Sharing
I loved this comment by VA:
I crocheted an aqua bikini for me back when I had no hang overs. I for sure, never wore it out...[ and about].
and:
I just got a project to finish. I am worrying about the tension between what she was doing and now me. A vest on size 13 needles. There is only about 4 inches to do in the front and then the ribbings. Say a little prayer for me.
A Garden club member wants to learn to crochet again she says. Wants to make produce bags. I think I told you this before. She liked my little bulb bags and wants to make a big one.....have you seen a simple bag like this? Wants to use kitchen cotton. I made one last night but it is too big around and not tall enough. Once I got started I didn't want to "frog it". See how quickly I learn the terminology. I don't want to make another one to change it....I think I know what to do.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Barb, Did you get Lion Brand newsletter? Lola is a riot and they have a bunch of felted coin purses done in Crochet and a couple in knitted versions I think I would like to try one just to see how to do it and if it doesn't work out....it's only a little bit of wool. Rocelle and Kimberly in my SnB group did really nice purses felted. I really liked them Hugs Cat
http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/60778A.html?noImages=
http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/60778A.html?noImages=
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Knitting Saint
This is an article mentioned on Knitting Novices group, that explains about a patroness for knitters and is an interesting story.
"...there is a saint who is unofficially the patron of knitters. St. Rafqa (or "Rebecca" for us English folks)" If you are interested, please see the article: http://tinyurl.com/2d7egd
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Knit/Crochet free-bees
I liked this site because there are a lot of simple things to make, such as a pin cushion and even how to crochet the covered hangers. Some oldies that everyone likes and make great Christmas tuck in gifts.
Love the crochet and knit bunnies!
http://frugalhaus.com/scripts/freepats.asp
Thinking...When you look at the round pin cushion, couldn't you sew a doubled thread through it and pull down the to to the middle, then run a double thread in at the bottom of the curve and pull it in and make a heart shaped pin cushion? Hmmm.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Michael's on line
I seem to forget there are so many pages of tips and ideas through Michael's on line FYI...take a look and read through their informative pages on the yarn and needlework main page: http://www.michaels.com/art/online/static?page=needlework[If you do other crafts there is a message board that is fun to read on many subjects, too.
snoop~surf around!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Knit Your Bit
Neat new "V" pattern scarf
http://www.nationalww2museum.org/education/knitting.htmlPlease check here for a great place to make scarves for the veteran's.
I have three done, but not the V.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Report in letter form:
[This is about the donated yarn from South West Trading Company in Tempe, AZ.]
www.soysilk.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Mindy,

I wanted to report about the yarns you donated to us.

Phoenix and the AMAIZING:
Jo Anna made 3 hats for people... and 11 snugglies for the animals!

I used one of the yarns...dumb me, not sure which, and added it into scarves for veterans and for cancer recovery group.
Also some of your yarn was added in a hat and blanket for the hospital, this was passed on to another effort, not the babies...
...As it turned out the Banner Hospital needed the tiny baby hats made with finer yarn, which they have donated to us to use.
One of my friends and her " support staff," so far have made over 500 *baby hats for the Banner Desert Hospital
this summer.
[24 babies are born there every day!! E-Gad!]

I am trying to learn to use the *crochet pattern they used...not too swift!

Thanks again for your sharing. It helps so many.
Barb Kipper

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Recipes

"Martha's" recipe for marinade on Salmon
[Because I love to use liquor in my marinades I would add 2 - 3 Tablespoons of brandy or orange flavor liqueur.
I need to get the hoisan sauce, I love to use it and lobster sauce, in so many oriental dishes B ]

1 tablespoon orange juice
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 teaspoons honey
Coarse salt and ground pepper
4 salmon steaks (8 to 10 ounces each), 1 inch thick
Vegetable cooking spray
Heat broiler. In a glass measuring cup, whisk together orange juice, hoisin sauce, and honey.
Line a broiler pan with aluminum foil, and spray the top of the pan with cooking spray.
Season salmon with salt and pepper, and place on pan.
Brush half of the hoisin sauce mixture over to coat.
Broil salmon about 4 inches from the heat source, basting once, until opaque in center, 10 to 13 minutes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~More on Sannies

Because I have my thrifty [8$ at the Lutheran Thrift!] George Foreman grill, I am thinking of all sorts of grilled sannies.
On Martha's site I saw a BBQ-ed chicken sanny...just get the cooked chicken from the broiler at the market, pull it apart, add *BBQ sauce
and put it with fresh spinach leaves on whole wheat bread and stick it in the griller.
I spray my bread on the outside with Zero Calorie butter, or you can use a thin spread of light mayo.
[We use the *zero cal BBQ sauce from Walden farms http://waldenfarms.com/]

If you grill stuff, let us know...and any recipe is welcome!

1 comment:

StampingJoan said...

Hi,
I stumbled across your blog but for the life of me cannot get the links to work that you have in your post. I just get an error page. Is it just me?